CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 1, 2008

Forklifts and Phosphorescent Waves

Those were the 2 most unusual sights on the beach this past weekend, and both on Saturday night.
Have you ever seen phosphorescent waves? I've been going to the beach all my life, and I'd never seen them before Saturday night. As the waves gently broke on the shore, they glowed in the dark with an electric-like green glow. When we walked through the surf, we left short-lived, bright green trails like the tails of shooting stars. With each step on the wet sand, the ground lit up underneath our feet, reminiscent of the light-up shoes our kids used to wear. It was absolutely awe-inspiring!
The forklifts were there, along with trucks and trailers, removing all the beach chairs, umbrellas, and even the little white storage units that hold the cushions. They were working at break-neck speed to try to get them off the beach before Gustav hit. They worked through the night, and were still at it at 1am. Sunday morning the beach looked....empty. But in a beautiful,expectant way. All the people on the beach kept looking out towards the gulf, as if expecting to see Gustav pulling up any minute! Yet the sun was shining, the breeze felt normal, the only sign that something was amiss was what was NOT on the beach (those chairs).
The change in the water from Friday to Sunday was impressive. Friday evening the water was smooth as glass. Like a solid sheet of glass placed over the entire gulf. It was so quiet, that if you closed your eyes and listened, you wouldn't know you were at the beach. Saturday morning was similar, but you could at least hear the waves some. In fact, Patrick was expecting to take Bob's boat out but the marina wouldn't allow any boats out of the dock as they were in "Hurrican Mode". Saturday night, the "electric" night, the waves picked up some, but they still broke gently along the shore.
Sunday was a bit different. It wasn't that the waves were huge. They weren't. but they were fast and furious, almost mean! There weren't many people in the water, because as soon as they stepped one foot in, they would be knocked down on their butts! It was as if to say, "Hey, leave me alone. Can't you see I've gotta storm brewing?!" Thinking about it, it was like it went through the stages of labor....calm, cool, collected, it gradually built in intensity, then in transition it turned into a royal bitch! (Not that I know what being a royal bitch is like!)
We had a terrific weekend, though it was cut short by the mandatory evacuation at noon on Sunday. So off we went, choosing to go through Birmingham since we'd been told I-55 was crammed with traffic. We think we made the right decision, even though it took us 7 hours to get to B'ham! I would've LOVED to have stayed and watch the storm, and if we didn't have a family to consider, I probably would have tried. I just love the beach, and the power of the waves when they're all stirred up!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time - I would have loved to see the photoluminecent (sp?) waves. What beach were you on??

Leighboe said...

We were at Gulf Shores, AL, my 2nd home! :) Ok, well not really my 2nd home, but certainly where I hope to retire to!

Anonymous said...

Wow - you have the best of both worlds...living and working in CO, then retire to the beach!!! I like the way you think! And thank your hubby for all he has done for this country - I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Leigh! Your writing is great! Aren't you going to write a novel one day? I can't believe that you don't know what a royal Bee is - you shared a room with me for how many years? I don't believe I've ever seen the glowing waves before - must have been a bit eerie. From what I can see from Steve's Live Beach Cams, the ocean only came up as far as the pool. Glad you enjoyed the trip, in spite of the trials and travels! Love you all! PS I didn't know you moved to Colorado! Jeez - Always the last to know!

The Ferrill's said...

For real, I would so be visiting you in CO to go skiing! ;)
That is way cool that you got to see glowing waves. I have never seen that, only some glowing micro-organisms at Dauphin Island one time.
Counting the days until Thanksgiving!