CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Parenting is so tough!

This isn't gonna be a funny post. I swear sometimes I think parenting is the hardest thing in the world! Well, parenting itself may not be hard...parenting WITH PURPOSE is! My purpose as a parent is to put myself out of a job. It's to make sure my kids can take care of themselves so they don't have to come back home to live (not that they'd be allowed to come back home to live!). This is so hard! They can wash clothes, fix themselves something to eat, even clean if they're really pressured. They can wake themselves up for work/school, dress themselves, and get where they need to be on time. In all those respects I won't worry about them being out on their own.
What worries the crap out of me is the money. It's so hard to sit back and watch them fail with something so crucial! I remember when we were in high school and college; there were no money worries. Mom and Dad took care of everything. Need clothes? Here's some money. Gas? Here's the Gulf card. There was never anything to worry about because we knew all we had to do was run to our parents. Though I took it for granted at the time, it sure was WONDERFUL to be able to do that!
We're not giving our kids that luxury, and that makes me feel guilty sometimes. The kids have to buy their own clothes, shoes, haircuts, school supplies, etc. We give them $125/month to do it all. I know that's not much, but the thought is that if they learn how to handle little, they'll know how to handle much. So it's hard to watch one kid spend $100 on fast food in ONE WEEK, and only have $25 for the rest of the month. A month in which he still has to drive to/from school! It's hard to sit back and watch a kid put $200 in her bank account and see it get eaten up in fees because she started spending her money before it was credited to her account. When you see your kids working so hard between work and school, then just blow the money on NOTHING.....it physically hurts to watch your kids do stupid!
I feel guilty because I didn't have to stress over all that when I was in school. Other kids have their parents doing like ours did, providing everything for them. Yet we don't do that for our kids. We have friends who spoil their kids rotten, and they swear WE are doing the right thing. So if it's right, why is it SO HARD!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing the right thing, Leigh, and your children will appreciate it when they are paying for their own everything! And I don't remember so much running to Mom and Dad for money worries, although I remember they paid for the back to school clothes and supplies- I worked in both high school and college - and went into debt as soon as anyone would loan me money. College work was to supplement the $15 a week allowance that Dad sent with his lectures. Anyway, it has taken me years to pay back everyone and everything (and some debts may never be paid), and it's STILL hard for me to tell MYSELF no, let alone my children. You're doing the right thing.

Anonymous said...

One more thing: Occasionally, Mom and Dad would surprise us and send some unexpected money our way - always a joyous occurrence.