CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 3, 2008

A Study of Contradictions


In this corner.... He's sweet and well-mannered; very respectful, funny, and seems to genuinely love his friends (kinda evident in the 2.5 hour drive he makes to see them!). Even though he's not Army Strong, he IS a member of our armed forces (a Marine)so we respect that about him. He's grounded and has a solid plan for his education and career goals. Who couldn't love a guy that wants to work with severely disabled children and be a family counselor to families of severely disabled children?
And in this corner.... he hates the Crimson Tide and makes no bones about believing "his" MS State Bulldogs are the best (really, HOW many games have they won this season?). He knows football, and knows what every member of his team should be doing every second of every game. He makes sure they know what they're supposed to do by screaming at them through the television. I'm not talking about screaming in just a casual yelling kind of way. I'm talking about window-rattling, wall-vibrating screaming. The kind of screaming that drowns out every other noise in the house. The kind of screaming that leaves your ears ringing. And Heaven help the player that doesn't follow his instructions! He makes sure Coach Crooms can hear him no matter what area of the country his Bulldogs are playing in! And the stuff he's got on Crooms! Oh,boy, this guy knows ALL of Crooms's personal faults AND those of his mama!
The contrast is amazingly funny! This gentle giant, who will one day be entrusted with the hearts of families of severely disabled children, turns into the Incredible Hulk when he watches his Bulldogs. Oh wait,that's not quite true...the Incredible Hulk was silent! At any rate, he's no longer Joseph at my house; he will instead forever be lovingly referred to as Coach!
And yeah, I know....I'm letting this Houndstooth Hater sleep in my house. But it gives me an opportunity to win him away from the Dark Side! ;)

3 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Oh, poor guy, I will pray for him.
;) Anyone who hates our Tide? His eyes have been blinded.
But I might give him a pass since he wants to work with disabled children. Might, I said.
I just rode through T-Town today and it was like coming home!
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I simply ADORE the idea of a bulldog with a houndstooth hat on named Bama! Unfortunately, Philip says, "No Way!" I was so proud of Ole Miss last week when they beat Florida, but as I'm a rabid Bama fan, today ANd next week is all about the ROLLLL TIDE! Don't you just LOVE SEC football? P.S. Tell Coach we understand that we're born to be fans of our teams - it's not like we get to choose! Otherwise, who would choose to be a fan of...(you fill in the blank here - I'm trying to be respectful to my family and friends for their teams) LOL! ROLLLLL TIDE!

Anonymous said...

Can't comment about your school football rivalry but you're right - he's not Army Strong - Marines are a good backup force in our military though. :D Go Army!