CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Move-In Day!



A week ago today we moved Mabry into the dorms at MS State University. To say she was excited would be an understatement. Anyone who knows Mabry can imagine what it was like; remember the little dog that bounced around the big bulldog in the cartoons, saying, "Can we? Huh? Huh? Can we,Spike? Can we, huh? Huh?"
Her room in TINY! I didn't realize how spoiled she had become in her last 4 years living away from home. At MS School of the Arts (her high school), she shared a suite; 2 dorm rooms connected by a bathroom shared by 4 girls. At Northwest, her "dorm" was really a 2 bedroom apartment, complete with living room, kitchen and huge bathroom. For the last 4 years, she's had to share a bathroom with 4 girls only.
Enter Hathorne Hall, her new domicile. It kinda makes me giggle just thinking about it. Her dorm room is tiny, and the bathroom and shower are down the hall. It's also a co-ed dorm, which didn't concern me until I went to use the facilities. I walked into the only bathroom on the hall, and there were exactly 3 bathroom stalls....and a urinal! (Insert freaked-out gasp here!) I quickly walked out of the restroom and back into the hallway to check the doors. "Restroom" was only on one door, and that was the one I'd just come out of! Having to use the facilities really badly, I quickly locked myself into a stall and prayed like crazy that a guy wouldn't come in to do his business!
When I walked back out of the restroom, I decided I'd check the showers, just a couple doors down. Same scenario (minus the urinal)....4 shower stalls with curtains. I'd heard of co-ed dorms but always assumed they'd have seperate bathrooms! I was seriously freaking out, but also thinking it's gonna be pretty funny when Mabry finds THIS out!
Well, Mabry was already in the know, and the laugh was on ME. Turns out her dorm IS co-ed, but there are 2 wings in the building; the boys have one wing and the girls have 2. Last year the entire dorm was a boys' dorm, and the bathrooms haven't been re-done to remove the urinal and add another toilet. Whew! But I do wonder how they expect 3 toilets to be enough for about 40 girls!

0 comments: